<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Daily Cantankerous Music Rant 

It's probably a good thing I'm not in a band anymore because I would just spend all my time ripping off Craig Finn:

"We heard the deacon's hopeful eulogy/At least in dying you don't have to deal with new wave for a second time."

Where O where are the bands made up of people under-30 that actually rock? Who don't look and sound like attendees of a Time Traveler Convention? I'm asking seriously, here -- I don't get out much, after all. But I do download like a madman and everyone's either whining about dead grandparents or pretending to be a crackly-voiced Dust Bowl-era Library of Congress recording or trading their guitars for laptops or, as Father Finn notes, serving up re-heated New Wave (with a side of post-punk, skinless and de-boned).

Now, I like a good Jesus-walking-the-boys-and-girls-down-a-Carolina-path-while-the-dilemma-of-existence-crashes-
like-a-slab-of-hod-on-J.T.'s-shoulders
song as much as the next guy, in moderation. But when the best rock song by a new-to-me band that I've blindly downloaded in the last week is played entirely on cellos, we youth of America have a few things to explain. If you ask me.

Maybe I should just start a damn band. If you know how to program an 808 or are an itinerant sharecropper, please contact me. I've got some really angular guitar parts worked up and I've bought us all matching sport coats.
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com